Saturday, September 1, 2012

Easy DIY Tin Caddy


I whipped up this simple tin caddy this morning. I have been saving these three tins for this little project for such a long time so I am glad I have finally done it!

I knew I wanted to attach three tins to a piece of wood. I will be doing another one of these in the future with three cans on each side for the kidlies but this one is for me. I tried to nail the cans on but it was rather awkward with my humongous hammer - I need a girly hammer!! Anyhow, I didn't think hot glue would hold, but it is what I ended up using and it is working a treat so far!!

Here's what it looked  like before...


I could quite easily have left it like this and been happy with it, but I decided to experiment with some kitchen string and PVA craft glue. I found it was easier to apply the glue as a stencil and then stick the string on top. I used a pencil to push the string firmly onto the wood, as my fingertip was too sticky and kept peeling the string off. Here's a progress shot:


And once again the finished project:


I quite like the string text and I will definitely be using the same technique again!


Thanks for stopping by!

linking with:

10 comments:

  1. Great idea, the PGA did a really good job with the lettering

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Alex... I just made one of these myself and I used short screws to screw the cans to the wood. If you put a long screwdriver extension on the drill it reached inside the cans without a problem. Yours looks great!
    Susan
    Homeroad.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Susan, thanks for the tip - I might try this as a reinforcement!

      Delete
  3. Cute! I've been saving my tin cans for just something like this :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice and handy with the added whimsey of the string title. Very cute.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've got tons of "stuff" and this would be perfect for corralling it all!
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  6. So cute! Looking over your other posts-I love your style! I'm your newest follower :)
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my goodness I LOVE this! Thanks for sharing at It's Overflowing!

    XO, Aimee
    http://www.itsoverflowing.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. How cute, I love the string title! Thanks for sharing at The Fun In Functional!

    ReplyDelete